Guest Blogger – Michelle Chettiath served as the Girl Up intern in 2014.
In search of something extraordinary, inspiring and powerful? The work of the late Maya Angelou will easily satisfy all three. Maya was a woman as incredible as her words. For years, she shared her wisdom and insight through novels, poetry, drama and dance. Her thoughts on self-confidence, agency and love were and forever will be invaluable lessons to girls everywhere. The following Maya Angelou quotes are just what our girls need to feel ready to conquer the world.
- “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.”
- “I’m a woman, phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that’s me.”
- “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”
- “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possible, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.”
- “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”
- “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.”
Maya’s talents have been recognized with numerous honors, including two NAACP Image Awards, three Grammy Awards, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She is lauded for her best-selling novels I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and Letters to My Daughter. And her poem, Phenomenal Woman was a groundbreaking testament to her hope, strength, and confidence as a woman.
Maya’s timeless message is sure to be passed on for generations to come – and that makes her a Fab Female.